Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why Not Free TV?

A couple of weeks ago, I read that Governor Christie's budget cuts included our New Jersey Public Broadcasting. It does not even get a ripple here in Trenton, but the Newark Star Ledger has been covering it because the privatizing of New Jersey News is not to be taken lightly. The State contribution to NJN's local coverage is only $11, 000,000 but all the network employees have been given notice to update their resumes.

I love public broadcasting. I do not use or pay for freaking-expensive cable TV. Aside from saving money, one of the benefits of being an antenna viewer is that I get a variety of PBS stations and programs. When lunchtime PBS on cable features that purple dinosaur or TelliTubbies, I can flip to the next PBS and watch Hamlet, sports, or even a cooking show. I get roughly thirty channels, broadcast in English, Spanish, Hindi, Italian, Greek...etc. It is a rich brew, this stuff of PBS, and I could not access it if limited to cable.

I got so sick and tired of Comcast deliberately nipping back coverage in order for my favorite programs to be available only as add ons, that I went to PC Richards and got myself an "Analog-Digital" combo. My set has a built-in internal switch that lets me receive and view both types of signals. I know that sounds naive, but the upshot is that I do not have to face a huge monthly bill for TV. Most of my friends are coughing up $60.00 or more every thirty days and, when they opened their envelopes last night, there was even a two dollar increase for May.

If you are on a fixed income and the Governor has increased your PAAD deductible, your Trenton City taxes have increased by almost a third because of the Capital City controversy, your insurance co-pays have increased in knee-jerk reaction to the Obama Medical Bill, this latest Comcast move is the last straw.

I recently got a request to respond to a News 12 survey. They promised that it would not take more than a couple of minutes. However, when I answered the first question, what cable, dish, satellite or "other" service I used and I said "antenna"...suddenly the survey was over.

PBS is a terrific source of local news. I watch two Philly PBS stations, which I could not do if Cable TV filtered the ones for my viewing area, and then go to NJN for my New Jersey legislative updates. I get such a kick out of watching televised hearings because it is obvious that most of the people around me rely on what other people report.

I submit: If you want to make constructive and informed contributions to your elected officials, please do not repeat what someone else has told you. Watch and listen for yourself. This opportunity for first hand observation and reporting will not be possible if public broadcasting goes off the air.

As Comcast/Time Warner keep gobbling up venues, I am concerned that there will no longer be enough options to keep information unbiased. Their programming emphasizes the entertainment aspect of their product. I look for the news. I do not give a hoot what News 12 thinks we want to know. I want to see and hear what is happening and what is real. Forget the graphics. Forget the sound bites. Lets get real.

Just a thought...the Trentonian is going full tilt on video clips. Some of them are kooky, some are gritty, some are really good news. Who needs cable?

Comcast? Humbug!

No comments:

Post a Comment