Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How to Beat the Heat

Summer is here. After more than ten feet of snow this past winter, Jack Frost has turned his weather record over to Mother Nature. Not to be outdone, she has treated us to heat wave after heat wave and today sent temperatures soaring to 101 degrees.

Yipes!

The city pavement is so hot you can fry an egg. Really.

We watch from our windows to see if there are any problems in the mall parking lot because the homeless do not like to go to shelters. We have a tiny park not far from our building and there is a fountain and some shade trees. Folks are very respectful and there are a lot of mothers with their children. It is, nontheless, possibly a lifesaver for someone in this oppressive heat.

We think word is out about our "Senior Citizen Police Academy" training and Police connections because we have noted better quality of life in this area. Incidents are almost nonexistent. We credit the outgoing Trenton Police Director Irving Bradley for including the community in Police efforts. The "professionals" seem to have gone to greener pastures.

I think enviously of my girl friend on a cruise in the Caribbean...I think of my friends under a tree or on a boat in the Atlantic Highlands...but then I look over at my window seat filled with ferns and flowers. The air conditioner is cranking out steadily and I can reach for my ice cubes. Not too bad. Not too bad at all.

I remember days ago sitting on the shady porch of my old farmhouse, rocking in my father-in-law's grapevine bentwood rocker. I remember the sound of cicadas and the dripping glass of lemonade. The city streets and parking lots are a lot harder to cool off and the smell of asphalt and diesel is not as nice as lilac and peonies, but coping with what life puts in your path is essential to achieving a degree of contentment.

AARP mentioned a while back that the senior population is generally more contented and happy. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who has lived through many a rough patch. Lo and behold, it's amazing that you have survived. Being thankful is a fulltime job.

I guess it might be more glamorous to have glossy green palms waving over my dewy brow, but heck, I am just fine with the scents of basil and sage and the purple geranium peeking from behind my peace lily. I just had a note from a friend who recently reconnected with me, I have a tall frosty glass of ice water at my elbow, and I think in general, life is good.

People rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment