Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pre-Holiday Jitters

Andrea Boccelli sang "Amazing Grace" on Good Morning America today. It was a hanky box spot for sure. He is just beautiful and his voice is wonderful for these special hymns. "I was blind and now I see..." just set me bawling in front of my cat and coffee. I managed not to spill my coffee and luckily no one else caught the spectacle. I just couldn't pass it up, even if I would be late to go to school. I just felt enveloped by his warm tenor voice, the Christmas decorations, the whole holiday thing....

Wow, I just took a look at the calendar. Where does the time go?

Aside from the fact that I am a year older...and I feel a year older...But, hey that's not an excuse to stop perking along. If we were roasting coffee beans what kind would you be? (Just not that super expensive kind that is harvested from monkey dung...or whatever...geez, please.)

No, I think I would be Evergreen Mountain berries that think they grew from New England or New Zealand, or some place that coffee doesn't usually grow, because I am a non-conformist for sure. Picture a greenhouse stuffed with ripening coffee berries on the slopes of New England's Mt. Washington...and when the weather gets nippy, imagine being toasted...and then steeped into your by-the-fireplace brew.

I think this nonsense is coming out of a campus-rat frazzled brain. I have a major exam tomorrow, a filming on Friday, and another presentation next week. Phew!
It is supposed to be time for holly and evergreens and I am pricked by exam schedules. I think even my teachers are burned out.

The December angst has not settled in yet and I still watch commercials thinking that "That one is nice." or "Maybe that would be great for my son-in-law." Come to think of it, there are only a handful of shopping days left before Christmas or the other celebrations in December.

I don't think I can handle anymore stress. If you have a computer you probably already shop online. Of course there are shipping costs and waiting for parcels to arrive. I found that calling stores before time to see if they carry an item does cut down on the randomness of the shopping experience. Sometimes, the stores just do not know what they have in stock and you waste a trip anyway.

I am trying not to get overly excited about this but the holidays are almost upon us.

If you know someone who is elderly or disabled, drop in on them or at least phone. Sometimes a cookie gift just might brighten up their day.

Years ago, my mom and two daughters used to get together two weekends before Christmas and bake cookies. Through the years, when grandchildren arrived, they were also included. We have some wonderful photos of the kids helping decorate the sugar and spritz cookies.

When my mother declined to the level of nursing home care, we still kept her supplied with homemade cookies. I brought in platefuls for the nurses and staff with tags that noted that my Mom and Santa had gotten togther in order to thank everyone for their friendship and caring.

If you know anyone who is hospitalized or in a nursing home this holiday season, I suggest that you drop in and pay them a visit. It is appreciated more than you know.

As senses deteriorate in an aging person, the ability to hear lasts longest. Melody and rythmn also stimulate the senses and make everyone feel so good. Try singing with some of these elderly folk and you will all have such a great time.


As the evergreen boughs come out and the ribbons unfurl, think about the end result and having family and friends home for the holidays. Ahhh. So much better this year.

Santa's elves rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment