Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Comcast Has No Solution

Cable TV is out of reach for many poor and elderly folks in New Jersey. The New Jersey Legislature's fund, intended to subsidize service for disabled and elderly, found over nine million dollars had been siphoned off for Governor Christie's priorities and did not help seniors.

In my previous blog, a comment by Comcast suggested that there was salvation on the horizon if you went to a certain web site. Don't believe it.

In spite of a little voice that said I shouldn't, I checked it out. I should have known better. Comcast searches for any mention of their company and, if a blog, you are treated to an invitation to visit their site to check out special deals.

Should'a known better. For a short time only, you can get phone, internet, TV for $33 EACH, or roughly $99 a month for 12 months. Oh my heavens. Gasp. Almost a hundred bucks, and I was worried about seventy...

Several years of using cable for both internet and TV left me empty of wallet and waiting for service. I had a tech one Saturday (could not be scheduled for a normal weekday) who was probably a part timer, who actually stood me up for his appointment and turned in his slip declaring the customer (me) wasn't home. I called the customer service rep just to see when he was expected amd she noted that I was calling her three hours before my appointment time. She had no idea why he had turned in his time slip... since I was not due yet... to not be home. I hope you followed that. She wrote him up and I started looking into alternatives.

My eventual solution was to scale down to antenna broadcast TV and Verizon for internet.

So nothing is perfect, but some of us are much less perfect than others...if you know what I mean.

Just wait if they decide that radio should also be digital. Remember how Comcast moved into the opportunity and provided converter boxes...and charged for installation...and charged for the friggin box? Ahem. We are all suckers waiting to let big business interests blot us out.

If you have relatives overseas, whether in Asia, Europe, South America or anywhere else on this globe, most of them use analog technology to communicate. If radio goes the way of our TV, and converts to digital, folks will have to buy new radio receivers that are not compatible with those other countries still on analog technology.

Write to your Congressman and let him know that big business interests should pay taxes, should hire more people like our sons and daughters, and should let the rest of the world stay in contact with us.

Seniors rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment