Friday, February 18, 2011

Congressman Chris Smith's War on Women

Shocking reports from the House of Representatives thundered through the media today.

New Jersey's own Representative Chris Smith addressed Congress concerning funding of Planned Parenthood. His presentation was laced with descriptions of abortion procedures so lurid that a Congresswoman took the floor to protest.

Representative Jackie Speier of California admitted that she had experienced an abortion in the '90's, when her fetus was not going to survive anyway, but she strongly objected to Smith's intent.

The San Jose News reported today that the experience was one that she "endured". She said,"I lost the baby. But for you(Congressman Chris Smith)to stand on this floor and to suggest as you have, that somehow this is a procedure that is either welcomed or done cavalierly or done without any thought, is preposterous."

Her spokesperson, Tim Schlittner, said she did not regret the remarks and support was pouring in.

This occured during the debate over funding Planned Parenthood's activities. The Republicans stopped all funding of this extremely valuable service because the likes of Chris Smith channeled the testimony from the benefits of the program to a discussion of abortion.

Planned Parenthood funds totaled $317 million last year and served over 5 million low income people. It provided breast cancer and cervical cancer screening, hypertension and blood pressure checks, vasectomies, STD testing, prenatal care, contraceptive counseling and supplies and many kinds of reproductive outreach.

Roman Catholic Congressman Smith, a Right to Life activist since college days, intended to take full advantage of this chance to expand his anti-feminist views and cut off Planned Parenthood funding at the same time.

So far he seems to be successful.

Well, Congressman Chris Smith, no man is going to tell me, or any of my women friends, what we have to do with our bodies.

I have been furious for years that the men who seem to be yelling the loudest about abortion have an agenda. Both Congressman Chris Smith and Governor Chris Christie are Roman Catholic. Maybe this is the time to re-examine the separation of church and state.

A woman's right to her own body is as valid as a man's.

Interfering with that right, either by force or law, is so wrong.

If Congressman Chris Smith or Governor Chris Christie would like to salvage a fetus that was conceived by rape or incest, how about implanting the fertilized egg into their own abdomens and letting them carry it for nine months, possibly most of that time lying on one's back in bed, legs elevated, peeing and pooping in a bedpan.

The possibility of Mr. Mom carrying a fetus is closer to reality than ever before. Just don't tell me or my daughters or grandaughters that you are taking away their rights to make these horribly personal decisions.

Chromosome screening and DNA is so advanced now that patterns of incest are being picked up in routine screenings. If laws were the only measure of mercy, there will be more of these revelations and broken genetic codes. Abortions do have a place.

Congressman Smith's decisions are not ethical...they arise out of politics and convenience. Some traditions hold a fetus becomes a person only after it is born. The wrestling with the ethics of stem cell research and medical thresholds is not for the faint of heart,for sure, but this invasion of a woman's privacy and right to ownership of her person is just not negotiable.

2 comments:

  1. I too am Catholic and a female. I abhor abortion in any means, EXCEPT, for medical conditions that would kill the mother or hinder the healthy condition of the fetus. If known ahead of time by medical tests the fetus has no brain, no other functioning part of the body, then simply take a pill to abort it. I don't like or condone the means of how they abort now. Horrific! As far as a man telling me what to do with my body? well this is an open column so I'll keep all those comments to myself, lest I be told never to post a comment again. Get my drift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not Catholic and a female. I have daughters and no one has the right to tell me or my daughters what to do with our bodies.That is between me and my God and their God.What would or would not be right for us,is not whats right for everyone else.

    If a child is raped by a stranger or through incest how dare anyone tell that mother what she can or cannot do for her child.How dare anyone tell her what she can do with her own body.

    I'm going to let Chris Smith tell me what to do,I think NOT.Get my drift.

    ReplyDelete