Sunday, April 18, 2010

Seniors and Cars

Making a decision to give up your car and whatever independence that goes with it is not to be taken lightly. Sometimes family members pressure aging parents to stop driving after a health issue. Sometimes moving into "affordable" housing means that there is limited or nonexistent parking facilities. Sometimes limited income for someone living on Social Security or a pension means that the costs of a car, insurance, gas, tires and routine maintenance have just become too expensive. The fear of having a breakdown and needing a tow is compounded because many seniors do not use cell phones. Even contacting help in an emergency can be a challenge.

Recently AARP pointed out that while the safety record of senior drivers is no worse than the rest of the population there is a perception that they should come off the road. Last week I followed a thirtyish blonde in a white lexus who hit her brakes repeatedly in the middle of the road for no apparent reason. She drifted to one side and then the other and I estimated her speed at over 60 mph. It was only during one of her spurts of braking that I managed to pass her and then realized she was texting on her cell phone. Senior drivers have more sense.

AAA World magazine offers tips for mature drivers such as regular eye exams, getting plenty of sleep, talking to your doctor about all the medications you may be taking, and making sure your car is up-to-date on oil changes and maintenance.

I started pulling out of my parking spot one day last week and heard a flapping sound. I was planning a two hour drive and worried that I might have a flat tire. I got out, walked around the car but did not see anything, so I started up slowly and headed to Mercer Automotive on Hamilton Avenue.

Since moving to Trenton over ten years ago, one of the things I miss is being able to drive into my small town gas station and kibbitz with the mechanics. I used to have a truck business that required lots of garage time so I was more or less at home in the back bay. From the first visit at Mercer Automotive, with a nutty washer switch that noone else seemed to be able to fix, I felt right at home.

Luckily Tony was able to check the car. One of his mechanics got in, backed up about three feet, and we all spotted a bolt in the front tire. I don't think I was there twenty minutes while they dropped everything, removed the bolt, plugged the tire and had me ready to go again.

I think seniors on the road need to feel that there is a backup if they have a car problem. For me, my back up is "Senior Friendly" Mercer Automotive Service on Hamilton Avenue. Tony's phone is 609-588-4888 and you should program it into your cell phone (when you get one!). Tony and his brother also have a web site www.germancarclinic.com. because they are experts on repairing European models. I drive a lowly Hyundai but they do not discriminate!

I hope to keep driving as long as I can. I find budgeting for gas sometimes is hard but public transportation just doesn't go where I need to go. I personally can appreciate the pros and cons of the entire driving issue.

Be safe and have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment